Edgewood Elementary School
Address: 8757 Kempwood Original opening: 1960 Reopening: August 2011 Capacity: 836 students Size: 109,000 square feet Architect: PBK Architects Builder: Cadence McShane Construction Fast Fact: Edgewood Elementary was moved from its original location at 8655 Emnora to its current Kempwood location to allow some separation between it and Cedar Brook Elementary, and to move Edgewood closer to the center of its attendance zone.
Frostwood Elementary School
Address: 12214 Memorial Original opening: 1960 Reopening: January 2014 Capacity: 950 students Size: 110,145 square feet Architect: Pfluger Architects Builder: Durotech Construction Fast Fact: Drainage improvements led to the elimination of “Lake Frostwood” on the track and playground after heavy rains. The inlaid Tiger on the school’s east façade is named for longtime Frostwood volunteers James and Ann Tidwell.
Hollibrook Elementary School
Address: 3602 Hollister Original opening: 1957 Reopening: August 2010 Capacity: 800 students Size: 105,000 square feet Architect: SHW Group Builder: Gamma Construction Fast Fact: The Nov. 18, 2008, groundbreaking for the new Hollibrook Elementary was the first time in 12 years – and the first as part of the 2007 Bond Program – that SBISD broke ground on a new school.
Address: 6705 Housman Original opening: 1950 Reopening: January 2013 Capacity: 650 students Size: 100,500 square feet Architect: Bay-IBI Group Architects Builder: Gamma Construction Fast Fact: Superintendent H.M. Landrum in 1949 finally convinced, after several years of trying, Mrs. Lillie Housman to sell the property on which the school sits. The school is named Housman after Mr. Louis Housman, the late husband of Mrs. Housman.
Meadow Wood Elementary School
Address: 14230 Memorial Original opening: 1965 Reopening: December 2011 Capacity: 600 students Size: 95,000 square feet Architect:SHW Group (now Stantec) Builder: Satterfield & Pontikes Construction Fast Fact: Meadow Wood dedicated its library to the memory of Sarah Chidgey Hughes, a much-loved teacher who died at age 28 in February of 2011 after a battle with cancer.
Pine Shadows Elementary School
Address: 9900 Neuens Original opening: 1955 Reopening: August 2012 Capacity: 900 students Size: 109,000 square feet Architect: SHW Group (now Stantec) Builder: Brookstone Fast Fact:The building plan includes four areas identified by color and ‘habitats”– ocean, rain forest, mountain and sky. Each contains classrooms and support spaces and is identified by an animal from that habitat.
Ridgecrest Elementary School
Address: 2015 Ridgecrest Original opening: 1953 Reopening: August 2010 Capacity: 800 students Size: 100,000 square feet Architect: Pfluger Architects Builder: Gamma Construction Fast Fact:The new Ridgecrest Elementary, the first new construction two-story campus, was rebuilt on its current site while students and teachers remained in place in the old building. The new building ”wrapped around” the former during construction.
Rummel Creek Elementary - Coming soon!
Address: 625 Brittmoore Original opening: 1962 Reopening: January 2016 (anticipated)
Capacity: 750 students
Size: 107,000 square feet
Architect: SHW Group (now Stantec)
Builder: Westfall Construction
Fast Fact: Rummel Creek was added in
2010 to the original rebuild list of
12 elementary schools when the district
had realized enough savings in the
2007 Bond Program to add a 13th school.
Shadow Oaks Elementary
Address: 1335 Shadowdale Original opening: 1959 Reopening: August 2011 Capacity: 744 students Size: 118,314 square feet Architect: Pfluger Architects Builder: Drymalla Construction Fast Fact: The strikingly modern Shadow Oaks Elementary pays homage to its mid-century modern legacy with many of its design elements.
Spring Branch Elementary
Address: 1700 Campbell Original opening: 1938 Reopening: January 2012 Capacity: 716 students Size: 100,755 square feet Architect:Bay Architects Builder:Bay Architects Fast Fact:Built on the site of Spring Branch’s original schoolhouse, particular attention was given to the school’s legacy. Terrazzo corridors through the building display historical timelines of both the Spring Branch area and the school district.
Valley Oaks Elementary
Address: 8390 Westview Original opening: 1956 Reopening: January 2015 Capacity: 800 students Size: 117, 872 square feet Architect: PBK Architects Builder: Durotech Fast Fact:Among the many legacy stories associated with Valley Oaks Elementary (third-generations are passing through the school), the rebuilding’s project manager, Kris Drosche, was once a Valley Oaks Eagle himself. The school also houses the district’s Gifted and Talented Academy.
Westwood Elementary School
Address: 10595 Hammerly Original opening: 1963 Reopening: August 2010 Capacity: 744 students Size: 97,060 square feet Architect: PBK Architects Builder: Drymalla Construction Fast Fact: One of the first schools rebuilt as part of the 2007 Bond Program, Westwood Elementary was relocated to its west, to a nearby site adjacent to Agnes Moffit Park on Hammerly.
Wilchester Elementary School
Address: 13618 St. Mary’s Lane Original opening: 1967 Reopening: August 2011 Capacity: 700 students Size: 120,000 square feet Architect: PBK Architects Builder:Gamma Construction Co. Fast Fact: The site and plan details were widely debated by the community before the school was rebuilt. The two-story design features an atrium area near the rear of the school that’s flooded with natural light.
Spring Branch Education Center
Address: 9016 Westview Original opening: 1953 Reopening: January 2017 (anticipated) Capacity: TBA
Size: TBA Architect: SHW Group (now Stantec)
Builder: TBD (Construction Manager at Risk)
Fast Fact: The SBEC rebuild will replace
wings for Cornerstone Academy and
Academy of Choice while preserving the
library and auditorium. Special attention
will be given to the building’s historical
significance as Spring Branch High School,
which closed in 1985.