Credit by Exam
Only applications submitted by the campus counselor or CAMPUS EA/CBE representative will be accepted. Contact the school counselor for more information about registration. Late and/or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
credit by exam and exams for acceleration Overview
The Spring Branch Independent School District offers students the opportunity to accelerate a grade or earn course credit through examination. Board Policies EHDB and EHDC (Legal and Local) provide guidance for students and parents wishing to take advantage of these opportunities.
There are three different options available for students currently enrolled in SBISD.
1. The first option, Credit by Exam without Prior Instruction is governed by EHDC (Local). Elementary and Middle school students enrolled in first through eighth grade wishing to accelerate to the next grade level must score 80% or better on criterion referenced tests in Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies for the grade they wish to accelerate. Parents of kindergarten students wishing to accelerate may contact the Director of Early Childhood.
High school students may gain course credit toward graduation by scoring 80% or higher on a criterion referenced test which thoroughly tests the essential knowledge and skills in the applicable course. In addition, students who receive credit by exam (without prior instruction) in courses required for graduation which have an accompanying End of Course Exam are not required to take the EOC for that course.
2. The second option, Credit by Exam with Prior Instruction is governed by EHDB (Local). A student must have had demonstrable prior instruction, as determined by the district on the basis of a review of the student’s educational records. Prior instruction must be approved before the student completes the exam.
Students with prior instruction must earn a grade of 75% or above on the examination in order to receive credit. In addition, students who receive credit by exam (with prior instruction) in courses required for graduation which have an accompanying End of Course Exam are required to pass the EOC for that course.
3. The third option, Credit by Exam for Languages Other Than English, is governed under both EHDB and EHDC (Local) and the Administrative Regulations associated with both policies. Students may earn up to four credits per language.
Credit by Exam is offered four times each year, once in the fall and spring and spring semesters, and twice during the summer months. Exams held during the school year will be conducted at the child's home campus. Summer locations vary and will be announced prior to testing.
Please note that per Education Code 28.023;19 TAC 74.24(c)(2), exam content may not be published or made publicly available. As such, questions and answer choices will not be released to parents or students following the completion of any exam.
Exams for Acceleration and Credit by Exam helpful links:
- UT High School K-12 Credit by Exam Website
- Texas Tech University Credit by Exam Website
- TTU "7A" Math Review Sheet (used for entry into 7th grade AAC math)
Languages Other Than English (LOTE) helpful information:
Limitations on Taking Examinations EHDC (LEGAL)
A student may not attempt to earn credit by examination for a specific high school course more than two times. If a student fails to earn credit by examination for a specific high school course before the beginning of the school year in which the student would ordinarily be required to enroll in that course in accordance with the district's prescribed course sequence, the student must satisfactorily complete the course to receive credit for the course.
Education Code 28.023; 19 TAC 74.24(c)(9)-(10)
For further information, please contact your child’s school.