Generally, you may change your benefit elections only during the open enrollment period. However, you may change your benefit elections during the year if you experience a qualifying life event (as defined by IRS code).
Once you experience a qualifying life event, you have 31 days from the event date to notify the Benefits Department and to submit the completed forms with the supporting proof of event. A change cannot be finalized until all required documents are submitted to Benefits.
To find out if you qualify for a benefits status change, contact the Benefits Department at 713-464-1511 or email us at email@example.com.
Qualifying Events include:
- Divorce or legal separation
- Birth of your child
- Death of your spouse or dependent child
- Adoption or placement for adoption
- Change in employment status of employee, spouse or dependent child
- Change in dependent eligibility status (due to age or similar circumstance)
- Qualification by the Plan Administrator of a child support order for medical coverage
- Entitlement to Medicare or Medicaid
You cannot elect to drop coverage retroactively; a future cancellation date is required. Therefore, your cancellation will be effective the first of the month following the day that paperwork is received by the Benefits Department (assuming paperwork was received within 31 days of the qualifying event).
Please note: In addition to the IRS Section 125 Cafeteria Plan requirements, the Spring Branch ISD Benefits Department must also comply with the rules set by the insurance carriers. The carriers may deny a qualifying event change if it is not in compliance with the carrier’s enrollment rules.