TRS Retirement

Teacher Retirement System (TRS)

I’m thinking about retirement, where do I start?

  1. Register for MyTRS
  • TRS has made it easier than ever to plan for retirement and access your TRS information. Click here to register for MyTRS.
  • MyTRS also offers active members an opportunity to calculate retirement annuity estimates online with their individual data obtained from TRS records. Registering for MyTRS will be very useful as you are going through the retirement process.
  1. Call TRS at 800.223.8778 to make sure you are eligible to retire.
  1. About six months before your anticipated retirement date, submit request for a retirement estimate and packet.
  1. Once you receive your retirement estimate and packet, follow the instructions in your packet. Use the TRS Retirement Checklist to make sure you complete all necessary forms.

Other helpful hints to get you started:

  • Read your annual statement from TRS, which is mailed to you in October/November. Your annual statement can also be found on MyTRS. If you feel there is an error on your annual statement, contact TRS at 800.223.8778.
  • Verify your beneficiary, address, and other personal information with TRS. This can be done by logging in to MyTRS
  • Review the TRS website for their suggestions on what to do before retirement:

TRS Things to do before Retirement

What does Spring Branch need from me?

  1. Resignation form with your signature
  • Turn in your resignation form to your principal/supervisor. Please include your date of retirement and your last day of work. TRS requires the date of retirement to be the last day of the month regardless of your last day of work. Your last day of work cannot be later than your retirement date with the exception of the first two weeks of June. Please discuss your retirement date options with TRS by calling 800.223.8778.
  • Click here for the SBISD Resignation Form
  1. TRS Form 7: “Notice of Final Deposit Before Retirement”
  • This form is included in your TRS packet. You must turn this form in to the SBISD Human Resources Department. The District will send the form to TRS after you receive your final paycheck. This form cannot be sent to TRS prior to your final paycheck. For questions regarding the status of your TRS Form 7, you may contact the Spring Branch ISD Payroll Department at 713.251.2229.
  1. Request for Accumulated Local Leave Payout
  • If you have accumulated local sick leave, you must complete this form and return it to the SBISD Human Resources Department. Your local sick leave payout will be calculated after your last day with SBISD and will be paid out on your final paycheck, unless indicated otherwise. See form for details.
  • Click here for Request for Accrued Local Leave Payout Form
  • Click here for 457(b) Enrollment Instructions
  • Note:  Your accumulated local sick leave payout is different from an accumulated non-duty day payout.  If you have accumulated non-duty days when you resign from Spring Branch ISD, they will automatically be paid in cash on your final paycheck.  If you are unsure whether or not you have accumulated non-duty days, check your most recent pay stub.  If you have any non-duty days they will be shown on your pay stub.
  1. Retirement Payoff Form
  • Some retirees opt to be paid off early in order to expedite receipt of their first retirement check from TRS. TRS cannot process your retirement checks until after you have received your final paycheck from SBISD. Electing to receive your ‘normal payoff’ may delay your first retirement check.
  • All retirees must complete this form and return it to the SBISD Human Resources Department, even if you choose not to be paid off early.
  • Click here for Retirement Payoff Form

What happens to my accumulated local sick leave?

How do I receive my accumulated local leave payout from the District?

If you have accumulated local sick leave of $5,000 or more and you are age 55 or older at the time of your retirement, set up a 457 account with TCG Administrators to receive your payout. We recommend beginning this process as soon as possible so that you will have access to your money as soon as possible after your last paycheck. If you already have a 457 account set up, you do not need to set up another one.

A. Set up your account with TCG Administrators.
1. Go to
2. Click on “Login” on the upper right side of the screen.
3. Select the first letter of your Employer from the navigation bar.
4. Click on your Employer from the list of Employers.
5. Follow the new account instructions.
7. If you have any problems, please call TCG Administrators Customer Service at (800) 943-9179. 

If you do not have Internet access or need assistance, please call TCG Administrators at 800.943.9179 and they can assist you with these services by phone.    

NOTE: If your accumulated local leave payout is less than $5,000 or you are under the age of 55 at the time of retirement, you will receive your local leave payout in cash.

How do I withdraw money from my 457 account?

B. Contact TCG Administrators  at or, at (800) 943-9179 to  process withdrawal of funds.

How do I calculate my accumulated local sick leave?

You can calculate your estimated accumulated local sick leave payout using the spreadsheet below.

Accumulated Local Leave Payout Estimator

Click here for a summary of the District's policy on accumulated local leave reimbursement at retirement.

What else do I need to know?

When do my SBISD benefits end?
If you are currently participating in the District insurance benefits, and your last check to be received is on the 16th of the month, your coverage will end on the last day of that month. If your last check to be received is on the first day of the month, your insurance will end on the last day of the preceding month. For example, if your last check is on June 1, your benefits will end on May 31. If your last check is on June 16, your benefits will end on June 30.

To find out when your last paycheck will be, call the Payroll Department at 713.251.2229. 

Can I have health insurance coverage after I retire?

Yes, health insurance is available through TRS-Care for retirees who have at least ten years of service with TRS. Click here to find out more about TRS-Care.

Can I get an estimate of my retirement benefits?

Yes! If you have a MyTRS User ID and password, you may log in to use its calculator which automatically imports current data from your TRS membership account such as your years of service credit, highest salaries, etc. Click here to log in to MyTRS and calculate retirement benefits.

Click here for Planning Retirement Information.

Will my TRS retirement benefits affect my Social Security benefits?

Your TRS retirement benefits will likely result in a reduction in your Social Security benefits. Click here for more information.

If you have any questions related to Social Security benefits, call Social Security Administration at 800.772.1213.

Where can I get more information?