The Parent Experience
Our strategic plan shapes our collective work. Family E3 is just one example of how we're supporting the PARENT EXPERIENCE on The Learner's Journey.
Family E3: Education, Engagement & Empowerment
The SBISD Family Education, Engagement and Empowerment Framework (Family E3) affirms the critical role parents, families and our community play as our partners in the education of Every Child we serve. Family E3 asserts SBISD’s commitment to and - responsibility for a sustained, strategic emphasis on serving and supporting every SBISD family.
Family E3 is an aspirational, research-based* framework that aligns with The Learner’s Journey, SBISD’s strategic plan, SBISD’s T-2-4 Goal, and each school’s Campus Improvement Plan (CIP).
Family E3 was developed over the 2016-17 school year by a team of more than 40 SBISD parents, community partners and staff and will be implemented over the next five years, with annual action plans and metrics of success guiding continual improvement efforts and initiatives.
* Dr. Karen Mapp (Harvard) and Dr. Joyce Epstein (Johns Hopkins)
Family E3 Vision
- Shared responsibility and commitment among schools, families, and the community to champion the success of Every Child.
- Every SBISD school will be a Partnership School.*
These foundational principles frame our work and are fundamental to the success of Every Child.
- Families are our children’s first teachers, and all families have the capacity to support their child’s learning.
- We must support the development of the whole child.
- We must meet our families where they are, with a more personalized approach based on their unique needs. Our diversity and unique communities are strengths help inform our shared efforts.
- Trusting relationships are vital and must be developed through meaningful two-way communication between schools, families, and communities.
- All SBISD schools must be welcoming environments, with customer service as a priority.
- Family E3 efforts should support current, future and former families.
- SBISD’s Core Values must guide our actions, behaviors and decisions.
Because we value and believe in families as Learners, Partners, and Advocates we:
- Educate: Sharing knowledge, skills, and resources to equip families to support the development of the whole child.
- Engage: Fostering intentional collaborations between schools, families, and communities on behalf of every child.
- Empower: Equipping, encouraging, and expecting families to advocate for the success of their children, their schools, and SBISD.
* from “Beyond the Bake Sale – The Essential Guide to Family-School Partnerships” (2007) by Henderson, Mapp, Johnson & Davies