Collegiate Challenge Program: Grades 11-12
- What is Collegiate Challenge?
- How to become a Collegiate Challenge Mentor
- Collegiate Challenge Mentoring Highlights
- Collegiate Challenge Toolkit
Collegiate Challenge: Changing lives that will change the future
Collegiate Challenge is a program that matches experienced community members and District administrative staff as mentors to help high school juniors and seniors prepare for college. Mentors help students with admissions applications, scholarships, financial aid applications, test preparation and career exploration.
In 90 minutes a week, mentors provide guidance and motivation to students, empowering them to reach post-secondary success in college and beyond.
Mentors' advice and encouragement to students, who may be the first in their families to go to college, provide pathways to realizing dreams of bright, financially secure futures.
One hundred percent of the students attain college enrollment and nearly 100% attend college.
To become a Collegiate Challenge mentor follow the steps below:
1. Complete the SBISD Mentor Application/Volunteer Registration. Registration for 2018-2019 school year will open July 1. Click here for a link to the registration page.
2. Attend one new mentor training session: Contact Pat Waldrop for training schedule at email@example.com or 713.251.2302.
More than 15 years into the successful run of the Collegiate Challenge program, a new cadre juniors from each SBISD high school have started their journey towards their goals of college acceptance and rewarding careers of interest to them. The students and their mentors are using the spring semester to fine tune essays and resumes to be included with college and scholarship applications in the fall. Expert advice from mentors and counselors is shared each week to encourage and keep the students on track.
Meanwhile, the Collegiate Challenge seniors are receiving college acceptances and financial aid packages. They will make final decisions about their college destinations by May 1.
At Spring Woods High School, juniors and seniors in the program, along with their mentors, came together for an end-of-year celebration. The seniors lined up and shared which colleges they plan to attend, as well as practical advice for the junior group.
Career and College Planning
- My Next Move Career planning from the US Dept. of Labor
- A Career Planning Exercise Where do interest, abilities and career dreams overlap?
- Explore Careers What makes you curious, excited and want to learn more? Which college majors align with who YOU are?
- MyMajors: Find a major, find a college, find a career
- Big Future: Explore college majors, make a plan, learn about how to pay for college
- College Planning Form
- Colleges Offering Free Tuition Based on Family Income
- "No Loans" Colleges List
- 2019-2020 TX University List and application info
Résumé and Essay Information
ACT and SAT Information and Study Helps
- SAT vs ACT: Which Test is Right for You?
- SAT and ACT Test Dates and study helps
- www.shmoop.com (ask your counselor for SBISD log in information)
Financial Aid Information
- Presentation slides: What You Need to Know about Financial Aid--FAFSA Information 2019-2020
- Sample FAFSA Application (Recommend to complete this online at www.fafsa.gov)
- FAFSA Checklist
- CSS Profile Check List 2018-2019
- Qualifying for Federal Student Financial Aid
- Houston FAFSA information
- 11 Common FAFSA Mistakes
- Financial Literacy information
Helpful Information for Undocumented Students
- DACA Resource Guide
- FAFSA or TASFA???
- TASFA application- English
- TASFA application -En español
- TASFA checklist
- HB 1403/SB1528 In-state tuition for undocumented students·
- HB 1403/SB1528 En español
- Legal resource Guide - Texas
- Applying for TAFSA
- Financial Aid/ TASFA
- Affadavit needed for ApplyTexas
- BigFuture Advice about College Applications and Financial Aid
- Working with Undocumented Students
- Scholarships for Undocumented Students
- Scholarship List for Undocumented Students
- Stars on the Rise Scholarship
- Univision scholarships
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- MALDEF Scholarship
- TheDream.US Scholarship
Academy of Choice
9016-A Westview, 77055
|Thursdays from 9:25 -10:10 a.m.||
Memorial High School
935 Echo Lane, 77024
Thursdays from 10:15 - 10:50 am
Afternoons Tuesdays or Thursdays
|Steve Nickerson, Steven.Nickerson@springbranchisd.com|
Northbrook High School
1 Raider Circle, 77080
|Mondays from 6:15-8:15 p.m.||Diedra Hader, firstname.lastname@example.org|
Spring Woods High School
2045 Gessner, 77080
|Thursdays from 9:20-10:50 a.m.||LaWanda Jenkins, email@example.com|
Stratford High School
14555 Fern, 77079
|Thursdays from 10:47-11:27 a.m., sometimes on Wednesdays due to late arrival||Jenn Shock, firstname.lastname@example.org|
901 Yorkchester, 77079
|Beverly Martin, email@example.com|