With literacy as a prime SBISD priority, the district launched ReadSBISD in Fall 2019 as the umbrella for community-supported literacy initiatives.
For all students to read on or above grade-level by 3rd grade.
- Bess the Book Bus - Gives away over 50,000 books in dozens of states across the USA each year
- Cat in the Hat Pre-K initiative - Provides partners the opportunity to sponsor a live-action, read-a-loud of Dr. Seuss' Cat in the Hat at one of SBISD's six Pre-K centers
- The Dictionary Project - Gives organizations/individuals an opportunity to put a dictionary in the hand of every 3rd grader
- J. Landon Short Mini Grants - Provides teachers an opportunity to apply for up to $750 in grant funds to innovate and enhance the classroom experience
- My Home Library - Allows every student at an elementary school to select six books to take home and keep
- Reading Buddies - Provides volunteers the opportunity to meet weekly with a student and read
- Reading Roundup - Brings high-quality read alouds to 1st thru 3rd-grade classrooms twice a month
PDFs & helpful documents
- Book Baggies
- Book Orienting
- What is a Sneak Peek?
- How to do a "Book Walk"
- How to Read a Series
- Refueling Reading
- Using Legos to Build Oral Language
- That word is hard! What now?
- How to support active reading
- Reading with fluency...it can be hard!
- Incorporating writing to help with longer books
- Non-fiction strategies
- Making and Recording Sounds
- Recognizing Snap Words
- Rhyming Words
- Segmenting Words
- Sounding Words
- Onset and Rime
- Cross Checking