With literacy as a key SBISD priority, the district launched ReadSBISD in Fall 2019 as the umbrella for community-supported literacy initiatives.
For all students to read on or above grade-level by 3rd grade.
- Bess the Book Bus - A mobile book bus provides over 50,000 books in dozens of states across the USA each year. SBISD Pre-K centers benefit from a read aloud and a book to take home!
- Cat in the Hat Pre-K initiative - Partners host a live-action, read-a-loud of Dr. Seuss' Cat in the Hat for SBISD Pre-K students and underwrite the cost for each child to take home a copy of the book.
- The Dictionary Project - Program sponsors provide a dictionary and an interactive presentation to SBISD 3rd graders.
- J. Landon Short Mini Grants - Provides teachers an opportunity to apply for up to $750 in grant funds to enrich and enhance the classroom experience.
- My Home Library - Community sponsorships provide elementary school students with six books to take home to build their own home library.
- Reading Buddies - A 1:1 reading tutoring program that supports 2nd graders on the brink of success. Tutor training and materials are provided by SBISD.
- Reading Roundup - Trained community volunteers provide high-quality read alouds to 1st thru 3rd-grade classrooms twice a month.
- And more! Contact the SBISD Partnership and Volunteer Programs Office to learn more - 713.251.2460 or email@example.com.
PDFs & Helpful Documents
- Book Baggies
- Book Orienting
- What is a Sneak Peek?
- How to do a "Book Walk"
- How to Read a Series
- Refueling Reading
- Using Legos to Build Oral Language
- That word is hard! What now?
- How to support active reading
- Reading with fluency...it can be hard!
- Incorporating writing to help with longer books
- Non-fiction strategies
- Making and Recording Sounds
- Recognizing Snap Words
- Rhyming Words
- Segmenting Words
- Sounding Words
- Onset and Rime
- Cross Checking