Board Briefs - Jan. 27, 2014
Board of Trustees Regular Meeting Agenda
Regular Meeting Agenda:
Texas Academic Performance Report (TAPR) Public Hearing Presentation:
Order Calling for May 10, 2014, Trustee Elections:
Highlights of this meeting included presentation of Employee and Volunteer of the Month awards, and recognition of SBISD Trustees in honor of School Board Appreciation Month. Trustees received framed student art in honor of their tireless dedication to SBISD’s goals.
A public hearing was held on the 2012-2013 Texas Academic Performance Report (TAPR), and Trustees adopted the order setting the special and general School Board election in May. Middle schools will once again serve as voter polling places for the upcoming May 10, 2014 election.
Employee & Volunteer of the Month
Memorial High School’s Lead Custodian Carolyn Davis was recognized as the district’s January Employee of the Month. Carolyn, over a 35-year career in SBISD at several campuses, has been consistently ranked as one of SBISD’s best service providers. Last summer, she coordinated both SBISD Summer School programs there while planning for re-opening that included six additional classrooms and new T-buildings. Carolyn “inspires others to do more than they thought that they could accomplish and to take pride in how a job well done improves the lives of others,” SBISD’s Associate Superintendent Jennifer Blaine said in her nomination.
Named as January’s Volunteer of the Month is Barbara Burr, who started mentoring 16 years ago through the HUG tutoring program at Housman Elementary. A treasured volunteer, she has seen her one-on-one tutoring with six Spring Woods High students lead to graduation and recent enrollment in one case at Lone Star College. Today, Barbara tutors a Meadow Wood Elementary student who likes to call her “Mrs. Barbara.”
Following proclamation by Gov. Rick Perry that January is School Board Recognition Month, SBISD’s seven Trustees received framed art created by our district students. The SBISD Board of Trustees serves as a strong advocate for public education and our schools. SBISD’s Trustees receive no compensation for their tireless efforts.
Texas Academic Performance Report (TAPR) Joint Public Hearing
The Board held a joint public hearing on the 2012-2013 Texas Academic Performance Report (TAPR). Dr. Keith Haffey, SBISD’s executive director of accountability and research, presented results as a part of the hearing presentation. Summary report highlights on top College Readiness Indicators include the following:
- Advanced Course/Dual Enrollment completion reached a new district high for students
- The percentage of students taking Advanced Placement (AP)/International Baccalaureate (IB) and taking SAT/ACT tests who scored either at or above criterion levels for College Ready recognition far exceeded state and region levels
- SBISD students outscored their peers across the state and region on the SAT (7 out of 8 groups) and ACT (7 out of 7 groups)
- More than 3 out of 4 SBISD graduates reached College Ready levels in English Language Arts
- More than 3 out of 4 SBISD graduates reached College Ready levels in Mathematics
- More than two-thirds of SBISD graduates reached College Ready levels in both English Language Arts and Mathematics
Order Setting Board Elections
Included in the Consent Agenda, the Board of Trustees adopted the order setting the next School Board Election for May 10, 2014. The approved election will be a joint election that will be held with the City of Piney Point Village. SBISD middle schools will serve as the polling locations for voters to elect members to Board Positions 1 and 2. These positions are held, respectively, by Trustees Wayne Schaper, Sr., and Chris Gonzalez. Both incumbents have filed for re-election.
In other action, the Board of Trustees . . .
- Held first reading of local policies related to Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) Policy Update 98 and Compensation and Benefits: Leaves and Absences
- Approved by Consent Agenda a rate increase for Employee Childcare Tuition, and also for Prekindergarten Tuition
- Approved Contract Awards