As Spring Branch ISD celebrates GenTX week (short for Generation TX), November 16-20, we are spotlighting the college and career paths of some school counselors across the district who have planned college-awareness activities for students and families.
Sherwood Elementary School Counselor, Kala McKnight, relocated to Houston following displacement from her home town of New Orleans, La. after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
She had been a reading coach in New Orleans public schools, which put her in a good position to be hired by Communities in Schools (CIS) in Houston as extra support for the teachers at Sherwood.
Through a progression of job openings at Sherwood in the past 15 years, McKnight has remained at the school, now as the counselor. Take a look at her educational and career path:
- Earned a bachelor's degree in elementary education at University of New Orleans, where she attended on a track scholarship.
- Attained a master’s degree in curriculum & instruction at Xavier University
- Worked as a reading coach in New Orleans public schools
- After arriving in Houston and working for CIS, she taught 2nd and 3rd grades at Sherwood
- Earned her counselor certification from Region IV in Houston prior to being named Sherwood’s counselor
“I love that I have been able to stay here [at Sherwood],” said McKnight. “I don’t want to be anywhere else.”
Plans for GenTX week at Sherwood
- Invited parents to share videos about their careers for students to view in classrooms
- Teachers will share information about their careers on the school’s morning announcements
- Students will do grade-level appropriate projects around the theme of “What I want to be when I grow up”
- Students will wear “professional” outfits to represent various career roles
Parent U Zoom events during GenTX week, to support SBISD’s T-2-4 Goal:
- Nov. 17: Scholarships 101, 6-7 p.m., English and Spanish
- Nov. 18: Military Roundtable, 6-7 p.m., English and Spanish
- Nov. 19: Certification, Apprenticeship and Technical Programs, 6-7 p.m., English and Spanish
Parent U Zoom session for families of students in grades K-2: