Each year, Spring Branch ISD students submit their art pieces to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR) School Art Program. This year, 15 students were selected to display their artwork in the Hayloft Gallery during the Rodeo, beginning Feb. 28.
“We could not be more proud of the students whose artwork was selected for the auction by the HLSR!” said Houston Hayes, SBISD director of Performing and Fine Arts. “This is the premier educational art competition and auction in our area and their dedication to their craft is a wonderful example of the standard we try to maintain in the SBISD Fine Arts department.”
The HLSR School Art contest is judged by the show's School Art Committee. The artwork is divided into three categories: elementary, junior high, and high school. Best of Show, Gold Medal, and Special Merit awards are selected in each category. The program supports approximately 130 different school districts in the Houston area and receives thousands of entries each year.
During the HLSR’s annual Art Auction, the students will have a chance to win thousands of dollars for scholarship needs.
2023 Spring Branch ISD School Art Winners
Edgewood Elementary School
- Diego Quintanilla, 1st grade, Gold Medal
Hollibrook Elementary School
- Aldo Reyes, 3rd grade, Best of Show
Memorial Middle School
- Kayla Jun, 7th grade, Gold Medal
- Sophia Ma, 8th grade, Best of Show
Memorial High School
- Alina Du, 11th grade, Special Merit
- Maggie Lu, 11th grade, Special Merit
- Angali Mandilwar, 11th grade, Special Merit
- Zanli Morris, 10th grade, Special Merit
- Renae Wang, 11th grade, Gold Medal
Spring Woods High School
- Hyunchae Kim, 11th grade, Best of Show
- Jennifer Solano, 12th grade, Gold Medal
- Johanna St. Clair, 11th grade, Gold Medal
Stratford High School
- Sophia Cornell, 12th grade, Gold Medal
- Yeojin Lee, 11th grade, Gold Medal
- Lucy Thomas, 10th grade, Special Merit
Congratulations to these students, we are #SBISDProud of you!