The $898.4 million 2017 bond program impacts every school and Every Child in SBISD.
Approved by 80 percent of the vote in November 2017, the 2017 bond program will continue the transformation of district facilities that began with the 2007 bond program.
- Replace remaining nine oldest elementary schools and one middle school (listed below*)
- Add new classroom building at MHS and at NHS, replace auditorium at SHS and renovate cafeteria/library at SWHS
- Add classroom wing at Cedar Brook Elementary
- Upgrade safety and security, building systems and technology at all campuses, including classroom furniture for secondary schools
- Replace Career and Technical Education classroom equipment
- Replace aged music instruments and uniforms
- Upgrade athletics, including four turf fields (MHS, NHS, SHS, and SWHS)
- Replace older buses
* Schools to be rebuilt
- Bunker Hill Elementary
- Hunters Creek Elementary
- Memorial Drive Elementary
- Nottingham Elementary
- Sherwood Elementary
- Spring Shadows Elementary
- Terrace Elementary
- Thornwood Elementary
- Woodview Elementary
- Landrum Middle School
The Process: Shaped by Community Input
A broad-based Long Range Facilities Committee (LRF), assisted by consultants AECOM, spent seven months studying and evaluating SBISD facilities during the 2016-17 academic school year. The LRF delivered a preliminary report to the Board of Trustees in March, finding that the district’s facilities needs exceeded the $1 billion mark.
Based on the LRF report, the Board of Trustees formed a Bond Advisory Committee (BAC) to develop a recommended bond package. On April 24, 2017, the Board approved the charge, composition and membership of the BAC. The BAC kicked off their work in May at Hunters Creek Elementary, the first of seven meetings.
The BAC delivered its recommendations to the Board of Trustees in June. The Board worked to review the findings of the BAC during the summer of 2017. Trustees voted unanimously on Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, to call an $898.4 million bond election to appear on the Nov. 7, 2017, ballot.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.