About the Transfer Process
- Transfer Procedures & Guidelines
- Considerations for Transfer Approval
- What Schools Are Available
- Fees for Out of District Only
Application Process: To be considered for a Transfer, an online application must be completed by the required deadline. The application window opens Tuesday, February 12, 2019, at 10:00 am and closes Monday, March 18, 2019, at 11:59 pm. Families may select up to three schools per child; availability varies by school. There are no changes to any application once the application window closes. The application must be completed by the parent or guardian.
NEW Transfer Application: If you have a student currently enrolled in grade 5 or grade 8, you must submit the transfer as a New Transfer application due to the change in school. Upload the following required documents: Report Card and Attendance Record from the fall semester 2019. Attendance can be either a separate report or included on the report card from your child’s current school.
RENEWAL Transfer Application: If you are renewing your Transfer for the next school year, you check the Renewal box. Renewal applications do not need to upload the report card or Attendance record.
Priorities and Restrictions: The Transfer application is open to any families with the following priority and restriction, including but not limited to priority to SBISD full-time, eligible employees, regardless if the employees lives in-district or out-of-district.
Students with Disabilities: For students with disabilities, the 504 or ARD committee determine which instructional and related services are required and recommends placement for services based on the student’s IEP currently in effect. An invitation for a Transfer shall be denied if the 504 or ARD committee recommends services at a different school.
Late Applications and Waitlist Information: Once the acceptance window is closed, there are no waitlists for schools. Late transfer applications are for SBISD employees who accept employment after the application window.
Notification and Acceptance: You will receive an email and/or text message through the SchoolMint program. You will need to accept or decline a Transfer offer no later than April 12, 2019. Applications may be cancelled after this date.
Feeder Patterns: Feeder patterns are not guaranteed in the Transfer program.
- Middle school feeder patterns are not guaranteed based on the elementary school.
- High school feeder patterns are not guaranteed based on the middle school.
In accordance with Board Policy FDA (Regulation) and FDB (Regulation)
Approved transfers are authorized for one scholastic year.
According to SBISD Board Policy FDA (Regulation) and FDB (Regulation), a principal may non-renew a transfer at the end of the year for any of the following criteria:
1. Space must be available in:
b. Grade level;
c. Specialty classes; and
d. Special programs if applicable.
2. Attendance (including tardies).
3. Students must be performing satisfactorily in:
a. Academic passing grades;
b. Conduct/behavior may be satisfactory; and
c. No violations of the Code of Conduct [Levels III, IV, and V].
4. Transportation: The parent must provide transportation to and from school and ensure students arrive at school and are picked up from school on time.
5. IDEA requires the district to provide students a free appropriate education (FAPE). The ARD committee develops the IEP for student and determines the placement in which it can be implemented in the least restrictive environment (LRE). It is the duty of the ARD committee to develop an appropriate placement for the student.
For neighborhood schools, any parent can apply for a Transfer, including in district and out-of-district families. Acceptance is based on the number of available openings, by grade level.
There are three descriptors for school availability:
- Available - the school has openings in all/most grades
- Limited - the school has limited openings; some grades might be closed
- Closed - the school is closed to non-employees, non-residents
Note: There are no transfers to the Choice Schools whose admissions is by lottery, including Academy of Choice, Cornerstone, Westchester Academy, KIPP Courage, YES Prep Northbrook Middle and High School, and any Dual Language program.
Who is eligible to complete a SBISD Transfer application?
Any family who lives in or outside of Spring Branch ISD is eligible for a transfer application.
What schools are available to transfer to?
Not all schools are available to transfer to - due to lack of space. Click on the "What schools are eligible" tab to see a list of schools and the availability for a Transfer. Also, there are no Transfers to any school whose acceptance is by lottery including all Dual Language programs, Westchester Academy, Academy of Choice, KIPP Courage, YES Prep Middle and High School, and Cornerstone.
What is the difference between a NEW and a RENEWAL application?
- New applications are for students who are applying to a school where he/she has never attended. For example, a 5th grade student would apply with a NEW application because he/she is changing schools next year.
- Renewal applications are for students who are currently on Transfer at his/her current school.
How do I apply?
School Mint is the online transfer website parents access to complete a student transfer application. School Mint is also available as a free app for any smart phone (download at the App Store for Apple and Android phones).
Are there any fees to apply?
Only out-of-District applications have a $50.00 processing fee. You can mail or bring the fee (cash or cashier check) to School Performance and Support Department, 955 Campbell Road, Houston, Texas 77024.
Who reviews and accepts transfers?
Campus Principals review new and renewal in district and out of district applications.
- SBISD Community Superintendents review employees' application/s for new transfer application/s only.
- Campus Principals review employees' application for renewal transfer only.
My child had an approved Transfer last year. Do I need to apply again?
Yes. Every family must apply for a transfer through the online application system. See "Considerations for Transfer Approval" to see a list of approval criteria.
Can my Transfer be non-renewed during the school year?
No. Student transfers cannot be non-renewed during a school year. All student transfers are renewed each spring and renewed annually through this process, based on the guidelines outlined in Board Policy FDA (Local), FDA (Regulation), and FDB (Regulation).
What is a "capped" campus?
When a campus becomes capped, students currently enrolled at the campus on transfer status and who are in good standing regarding the criteria will be allowed to continue on transfer status for the upcoming years if space permits. Siblings of students on transfer may receive preference in attending the same school on transfer status during the same school year in which a sibling is assigned, and where such sibling has previously attended. However, transfer criteria must continue to be met and space available. FDB (Regulation)
Is Transportation provided for my child?
Transportation is not provided.
If my child receives a Transfer, is he or she eligible to participate in UIL activities?
The student may/may not be eligible in UIL activities according to UIL regulations and guidelines. Transfer guidelines may not supersede any governing portion of UIL regulations in regards to eligibility.
The application asks for an upload of my child's report card and attendance report. How do I upload my report card and attendance report?
You can get a copy of these reports from your child's current school. There are two ways to upload documents:
- Use the SchoolMint phone app and your phone's camera
- Use your desktop computer and upload a scan of the reports
Your child's application will not be considered complete and submitted unless all required documents are attached.
All out-of-district new and renewal applicants must pay an annual $50.00 processing fee. This fee is due before the end of the application window. There are no fees for in-district or employee applications.
- For renewal applications in SBISD, you can pay your fee at your current school. Cash or money order. We do not accept checks or credit cards.
- For new applications, you need to deliver your fee to the School Performance and Support Department, 955 Campbell Road, Houston, Texas 77024. For more information, please call 713.251.2467.